Wednesday, June 03, 2009

 

Moose Mountain

This is my fourth hike up this one. I woke to feeling a little disorganized and not really wanting to get up and do anything. I decided I wasn't going to hike, but then figured I'd need to run, and didn't want to do that either. So back to the hike.

I had a slow start just getting out there, but once at the trailhead, I was good. I had to park on the road, as the parking lot was still full of snow. Trees grow close around it and it's quite sheltered.

One quick start that I aborted because I forgot my GPS in the car. Ten minutes later, I was well down the trail. Mostly it was clear, but there was a lot of snow still covering a lot of it. And for most of that, I could skirt along the edge between trail and forest.

There were a few places where it was easier to walk across the snow, due to mud and standing water, or too much bush along the side, and these weren't bad due to the path being well trampled from all the traffic that must have been up there the last couple of weeks.

At the big clearing, where the begins to curve westward from it's northerly push, I could see there was still a lot of snow on the east side of the first hump, though it was patchy and didn't look bad. But first I had to climb the last bit through the trees, and there was a lot of snow there.

This is a long stretch from a col between the ridge that approaches the mountain, and the mountain itself. The snow was probably four or five feet deep, but again, with all the traffic that had been on it, it was pretty packed. And for the most part it held me up. I even managed to pick my way through the places where others had broken through.

One little switch back at the end of that, and then you're suddenly out of the trees. A few scrubby stubby pines dot the meadow, but it's quite clear, and the view to the north is unobstructed. I stopped for a snack and to take a few pics of the wild flowers, clumps of tiny dark purple blossoms, dotting the landscape.

Then up to the top of the hump. I took the direct path. There was some snow, though it was easy to go around some of it, and in lots of places easier to use it to climb. The switch back path that zigzags back and forth across the direct one was much snowier, probably because there is so much less slope.

I was at the top quickly and walked across the curve of the hump, past the old wind wall that someone had build ages ago. It was looking a little bit crumbly now, but I imagine someone will spruce it up once the snow is completely gone, and the crowds start coming out.

Down to the col before the climb up the ridge to the peak, and then up along side snow clinging to the ridge. Where the usual trail crosses left to continue up the side, what buried under the snow, and I didn't see it until I was somewhat higher. At that point a path had been beaten across the snow and the scree beyond to join up to it.

From there it was up the usual trial, although even on the south side of the mountain, snow was piled along it. I stepped over the guy cable, and went around the curve to just under the helicopter pad. As I stepped up to the mail box where the register is kept, the fire warden came out to say hello.

We chatted for a bit, I signed the register, and then parked on the helipad for lunch. Assiniboine was very obvious to the west, and I would think the broad wedge of Joffre would be visible, too, but Moose Mountain isnt that high, and some higher peaks to the southwest might obscure the view. Besides, it was a much different angle than from where I've seen it before.

After some lunch, I started down again. Pretty straight forward, and I met about sixty or so going up. Many would call it a day on the hump, but a few would be going all the way up.

I was back at the car in early afternoon, and began to head down the long drive to the highway. A lot of cyclists were out on the road, and it must have been rough with how much dust was being kicked up with all the traffic up there. Near zero visibility in places. But back on the highway in short order, and then home.

Moose Mountain
Starting elevation: 2034 m (6673 feet).
Highest elevation: 2464 m (8084 feet).
Lowest elevation: 1915 m (6283 feet).
Elevation gain: 430 m (1417 feet).
Distance: 15.8 km (9.8 mi).
Time: 4:11.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]