Wednesday, May 12, 2010

 

Norway Day 1 - Starting Out

This is an after-the-fact transcription of the journal I kept on a two week trip to Norway.

May 12, 2010, 1:55 pm
Calgary Airport

I'm here way too early and I'm a bundle of nerves. The KLM desk doesn't open until 2:05. And I feel like a total dweeb with this backpack.

Bonus! Some guy with a backpack just went by, so I'm not the only one. However, I don't have the camo pants and shaved head.

One nice thing is that people are starting to accumulate in the area.

One bad thing is that both pens I brought to write with are running dry already.

May 12, 2010, 2:30 pm
Calgary Airport

I'm still all nerves. Jeez, I wish I could settle a bit.

But I got a pair of fresh Bics so I can write again. And by the time I got them, used the washroom and got back out front, the desks were open for KLM.

Nice to be first in line; I was through the check in pretty quick.

I's nerve wracking too, because I keep feeling I've forgotten something. Yet so far, so good.

Anyway, I presented by passport and boarding pass to the guy at the sliding doors (to the security check area) then walked the zigzag of those poles with the tapes between them.They did open them up after the first zigzag so I could walk straight through.

Pulled out the ziploc bag with contact solution and toothpaste, empty pockets, take off shoes, etc. Walk through the gate. Whoops, forgot to take off the belt, but they didn't say anything.

Now I'm sitting in a bar/lounge/restaurant, and have just finished a plate of chicken wings. I wasn't feeling very hungry but thought if I ate something my stomach would settle. The beer probably helps.

It's a sunny beautiful day out. From hear I can see planes taxiing, planes taking off. I haven't seen any land yet. At least some have come up this way and parked.

In front of me right now is probably an A330 with Lufthansa livery. All the service vehicles have left. There was a crowd sitting around that gate when I walked by so I suppose they aren't that far from push back. I can't make out the registration number because the wing is in the way, or I'd write it down.

There's a WestJet 737 just taxiing up and some odd looking T-tail just floating in to land. Now something else, the engines mounted on the sides off fuselage, just reached rotation and lifted.

And behind it all, the downtown skyline.

A Delta 737 just backed out and is beginning to taxi. I've taken pictures!

I knew this would happen. Once I get past the initial nervousness, I knew I would settle down.

Now I wait for awhile. Three hours to go!

That Lufthansa is an A340. I didn't see the second engine on the wing until it was pushed out.

May 12, 2010, 4:00 pm
Calgary Airport

It was an A340-300 called the Gottingen. Just before it was pushed back, my plane arrived, about half an hour ago. It's called Plaza de la Independence - Madrid. Where I'm sitting right now, I'm about twenty metres from the nose. of it.

The afternoon is going by quite quickly thankfully. Waiting....waiting....

May 12, 2010, 5:40 pm
Aboard KLM 678

There's still twenty five minutes to get off the ground, but I'm finally aboard. Announcements are being made in German and English.

They are telling us to stay in our seats until after take off since there is lots of room if people want to find another seat, I guess. Maybe my neighbour will move another seat so he can stretch out.

I grabbed a copy of the international edition of the New York Times, and I'm going to sit and try and relax for take off.

May 12, 2010, 6:30 pm
Aboard KLM 678

I'm now a half hour into the flight and so far it's pretty ho-hum. I like hearing the German announcements, different from the usual French that we get on the domestic flights.

There are a few good movies. I'll watch The Blind Side later. But mostly, I like the flight tracking. We're just crossing into Saskatchewan now. I like that you can control that, too.

I got the window seat, but it turned out to be directly over the wing root. Some view. If I lean forward, I can see some of the ground past the back edge of the wing.

Here come the snacks...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]