Monday, May 17, 2010

 

Norway Day 6 - Constitution Day

This is an after-the-fact transcription of the journal I kept on a two week trip to Norway.

May 17, 2010, 9:00 am
The Florø Comfort Inn

It's still raining. I hope the sunny skies promised for Bergen reach this far north.

The plane broke through the cloud as it descended, and I recognized the islands from the satellite photos I've been looking at.

The landing was pretty standard. Taxiing back to the terminal, I could see a long flat building with a space in front the size of a soccer field, and two guys at either side wearing safety vests. We stopped by one of them, who began to service the plane as the props spun down.

By the time I had my stuff gathered, I was last off, and followed the few others to the terminal. Through a door, I was in a room with a short conveyor from the outside. I don't think it was too much bigger than the hotel room I'm in now. Out the door on the other side was a small parking lot, and a deserted taxi stand.

I walked over to the other door, to the departures area, much bigger with chairs and a lunch counter, to dig out my jacket. Then a quick look at the town map on the wall beside the door to figure out where I was going.

Since there was no sign of a taxi, I thought I might as well walk. As far as I could tell, it was about a kilometre and a half to the hotel.

The light drizzle was enough to spot the pavement. It was quite warm and it was a nice scenic walk. A little unnerving when there was traffic because there was no shoulder, and in some places fences and rock outcrops came right to the pavement edge.

When I was two blocks from the hotel, a brass band started up. I thought that was quite a welcome.

There was a pavilion tent set up beside the hotel, and people and umbrellas everywhere.

I checked in and then went out to look around. by then the sky had opened up, but people seemed not to notice, standing and listening to the bands and speeches, or wandering down the main street, Strandgata.

On May 16, 1860, Florø was incorporated as a town to service and support the herring fishery. Yesterday marked the 150th anniversary.

I strolled down Strandgata from end to end, down to the other hotel, and on to a warf where people were getting to tour a tall ship and what I think was a small military ship.

A few blocks away, I found a shopping mall next to a large dockside parking lot, cleared of everything except a large stage being erected in one corner. This was a lot bigger than the one in use near my hotel.

I spotted a souvenir shop selling "I Florø" tee shirts, so I had to get one.

Later, I decided I'd better get something to eat since all I'd had since breakfast was the lefsa on the plane.

I found an Italian style place, although I don't think Italian extended past the decor.

I didn't expect to have so much trouble with a menu. When the waiter finally got to me, I asked about a couple of items on the menu, but about all we got clear on was "meat" and "chips." OK then, steak and fries. It was pretty good.

Afterwards, I walked through the pouring rain back to the hotel. The crowd had almost disappeared, although a band was still on the stage.

At the hotel, I crashed for about fifteen minutes. Then what? Well, go walk around and see what there is. I walked out of the hotel to find the pavilion tent being dismantled. Another band was playing 90s rock, but there was no one there to listen.

I walked east until it became evident I was following the main highway, so crossed south a block and went west. The highway narrowed and finally curved into a narrow lane, and I was walking past a sports field. By this time I was getting too wet, so headed back to the hotel.

On the stage, another band was playing Ozzie Osbourne tunes at high volume. I could hear them very well from my hotel room. And so it went. Not a soul there to listen as far as I could tell, but bands must have been booked to play until 11:00 cuz that's what they did. So much for early to bed.

No sleeping in this morning either. At 7:00 I was awakened by cannon fire. Three rounds to start the day, and it sounded close. And then a brass band started up. Still raining. I got up and dressed.

The breakfast spread here is not nearly so huge as in Oslo, but still a wonderful variety and lots to eat. I stuffed myself on eggs, meats, cheeses and breads. I didn't try the herring this morning, but I might yet try the mackerel.

Afterwards, I checked email, and then began to write this. Right now people are lining the street in the rain, and I can hear a bass drum somewhere. There were a couple more rounds from that cannon, too.

Gonna go check it all out.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]